The Ultimate Mini-Guide To Menopause
Want to read more?
Register with a few details to continue reading this article
First published by The Mutton Club
Where does the word “menopause” come from?
The word “menopause” was first used in 1879. It is a combination of two Greek words - mens meaning “monthly”, and pausis meaning “cessation”.
Stages of menopause
There are three stages of menopause:
- Perimenopause - the 4 to 10 years before periods stop;
- Menopause - defined as occurring 12 months after your last period, occurring on average at the age of 51;
- Post menopause - the years that follow menopause.
Types of menopause
There are three types of menopause:
- Natural - happens between the ages of 40 and 58;
- Premature - happens before 40, usually due to an autoimmune disorder or genetics;
- Artificial or .....